Buses on the French Riviera
Details and contact information on the regional and city bus services for Monaco and the French Riviera, from Menton to Toulon, Monaco into the hills of Nice, Antibes to Sophia Antipolis, Valbonne and more...
Most towns in the Alpes-Maritimes and Var are served by an urban bus system. Generally, information on routes and timetables is available from local SNCF train stations, bus stations (Gares Routières), Tourist Offices and tobacconists (Tabacs).
When the desired bus is approaching, signal the driver of the bus with a wave of the hand or arm, or the bus may not stop. During times of heavy usage, a bus may not stop if the driver deems the bus too full to safely take on more passengers.
A Ticket Azur travel card allows for reduced-rate travel on local public transport (Lignes d'Azur and Envibus). Either buy a ticket at one of the outlets or, when boarding the first bus of a journey, tell the driver the final destination, pay, and receive a "facturette" which is valid for all connections on the journey. A ticket is valid for 2h30 from first issue to being validated on the second voyage.
- For more information from Symitam (Syndicat Mixte de Transport des Alpes-Maritimes): Click here (in French)
- For an interactive map of the areas covered and regional service: Click here
Carte d'Azur is a card for season ticket users (annual and monthly), allowing unlimited traveling with Lignes d'Azur, Envibus and Autobus de Monaco for a euro per day.
Envibus Tickets (Billettique)
Envibus and the Communauté d'Agglomération Sophia Antipolis (CASA) operate a cashless ticketing system. There are two options:
- A swipe card for season ticket users (annual, quarterly, monthly, school term)
- A magnetic card for occasional users (single journey, a ticket book of 10 journeys, "Ticket Azur", "Pass Famille" and weekly pass)
How to use the cards:
- Wave the swipe card in front of the logo on the Billettique machine. A short beep and a green light indicate the validation of the ticket
- Place the magnetic card, arrow downwards, in the slot on the top of the Billettique machine
In both cases a Bon Voyage message appears on the display screen along with the date (in the case of the use of a swipe card) or the number of remaining journeys available (in the case of a magnetic card).
The cards are available from bus stations in Antibes, Sophia-Antipolis, Vallauris and the Service Education et Vie Scolaire in Villeneuve-Loubet. Swipe cards can be topped-up at these locations and at selected points in the CASA area.
- For information on the cards, the routes covered and top-up points: Click here (in French)
Alpes-Maritimes Bus Services
Website Trans'bus, in French, provides information on the buses serving a region of France. Scroll to the page bottom and enter the relevant post code or departément number.
- Nice Airport Busses & Shuttles
The Aeroport Nice Côte d'Azur to Cannes, Nice, Monaco the Var, Provence and other southern French and northern Italian destinations
Tel: 0820 423 333
From outside France Tel: +334 898 898 28
- Lignes d'Azur
Bus service covering 24 communes in the Alpes-Maritimes including Nice, St-Laurent du Var, St-Martin-du-Var, La Gaude, St-Jeannet, Cagnes-sur-Mer, Villefranche-sur-Mer and the Valleys of Paillon and La Banquière. A transport on demand service, called Créabus, is available as is a nighttime service called Noctambus. Bus numbers 23, 98 and 99 have stops at the Nice Côte d'Azur Airport.
At: 3 Place Masséna, Nice
Tel: 08 1006 1006 (Monday to Saturday from 07:00-20:00)
Open: Monday to Friday from 07:30-18:45, Saturdays from 08:30-18:00
Bus service for the inter-departmental region of Antibes/Biot/Valbonne/Sophia Antipolis/Roquefort up to Gourdon, the Communauté d'Agglomération de Sophia Antipolis.
Yellow school busses are dedicated to certain school routes. Comprehensive website shows the bus routes, and ticket prices. Tickets, weekly and monthly passes and timetables are available from the bus terminus at Antibes, Sophia Antipolis and Vallauris and at the local Town Halls - Mairies (see Points de vente on the website)
Tel: 04 89 87 72 00
- Palm Bus (formerly Bus Azur)
Regular bus service in Cannes, Le Cannet, Mandelieu-La Napoule, Mougins and Théoule-sur-Mer, with a "Midnight Bus" service schedule for after sporting events, leaves from the Palais des Victoires and the Stade Coubertin.
Tel: 0825 825 599
Handi Palm provides bus services on demand for people with disabilities. The service is available every day between 07:00 and 19:00
Tel: 0810 000 895 / 06 26 59 81 09
- RCA Transport (Rapides Cote d'Azur):
This bus service covers the area from Grasse and Cannes to Nice, Monaco and Menton. A regular service is available on various routes. RCA also provides a regular, "rapid" airport connection service from Nice Côte d'Azur Airport to Monaco and/or Menton and between Nice Côte d'Azur Airport and Cannes. Routes and rates can be viewed online
Tel: 04 93 85 64 44
- Sillages STGA (Syndicat Intercommunal des Transports Grasse-Antibes)
A complete, regular urban transport bus service for Grasse, Le Tignet, Pegomas, Antibes, Valbonne and Cannes central. Many discount passes available
Bus strikes in the PACA region
From time-to-time the bus services are reduced due to strike action. Information may be available in the Nice Matin newspaper or on the websites of the various bus companies - look for the heading "Perturbations".
Group and tour bus services
- STGM (Grasse and Mediterranean Transport Society)
International European transport for congresses and seminars. School transport. Bus service provided for outings and events in the region, see the website for "Programmes"
At: 310 Boulevard de la Mourrachone, Pegomas
Tel: 04 93 42 22 36
Fax: 04 93 40 75 76
- SAP (Société Automobile de Provence)
Touring bus service serving Vence, St-Paul, La Colle-sur-Loup, St-Laurent du Var and Nice
Tel: 04 93 58 37 60
Fax: 04 93 58 00 05
- STC (Société des Transports de Cagnes-sur-Mer)
At: 17 ave Renoir, Cagnes-sur-Mer
Tel: 04 93 20 45 05
Var Bus Services
- SODETRAV, the Société départementale de transports du Var covers the area from Toulon/Hyères Airport to Toulon in the west and up the coast to Fréjus. Student passes and Tourist passes available. Routes and timetables can be viewed online
Tel: 0825 000 650
Tel: 04 94 13 88 44
e-mail (in French)
- Agglo-Fréjus-St-Raphaël Timetable on the website along with ticket prices.
Tel: 04 94 83 87 63 (St-Raphaël bus station)
Tel: 04 94 53 78 46 (bus information kiosk in Fréjus)
- RMTT (Régie Municipale des Transports de Toulon)
At: rue Octave Virgily, Toulon
- TPM (Toulon Provence Méditerranée) Bus and water bus for the Toulon coastline
Tel: 04 94 03 87 03
Monaco Bus Services
- CAM (Compagnie des Autobus de Monaco)
Bus service within the Principality; timetable and routes covered available on the website
International, Europe-wide and Coastal Coach Services
- Eurolines France
Tel: 08 92 89 90 91
- Santa Azur
A coach service for getting practically anywhere in the Provence, Alps, Côte d'Azur (PACA) region, with buses departing from Nice, Antibes, Cannes, Menton and Mandelieu
Regular bus and minibus service between Nice, Marseilles, Toulon, Hyeres and some towns inland of Nice.
Santa Azur has offices in:
- Nice: 11 Ave Jean Médecin
Tel: 04 97 03 60 00
Fax: 04 93 87 90 08
- Menton: 27 ave de Verdun
Tel: 04 93 35 72 00
Fax: 04 92 10 00 10