Skiing in the Alpes-Maritimes
From downhill, Alpine skiing to cross-country and snowboarding - the region's winter-sports facilities in full...
It is often assumed that the Alpes-Maritimes mountains are too close to the Côte d'Azur with its mild winters to offer any serious skiing options however the high altitudes and favourable weather conditions can make skiing possible right through until April.
The largest resorts in the region are Isola 2000, Auron and Valberg/Beuil but there are many small resorts that offer competitively priced lift passes and are in easy reach for a day or weekend trip.
The département has a long association with the sport of skiing and the first ski club, "Ski Club des Alpes Maritimes" was founded in 1909 by Victor de Cessole, from Nice, who spent much of his life conquering these tough mountains.
There are 465 peaks over 2,000 meters in the region with, towards the Italian border, six peaks standing over 3,000 metres.
Getting there: Public transport
Lignes d'Azur have special winter routes to the ski resorts in the region. They all depart from Gare SNCF Thiers in Nice.
- SNCF Station, Avenue Thiers, Nice
Mainline trains from Nice Central station to Cuneo via the Bévéra and Roya valleys
Tel: 08 36 35 35 35
- Chemin de fer de Provence, 4 Rue Alfred Binet, Nice
Train service from Nice to Digne via the Var valley
Tel: 04 97 03 80 80
- Train des Neiges is a TER train and shuttle bus which travels from Marseilles and Aix-en-Provence to the resorts Saturdays and Sundays during ski season.
For details of the "snow train" to the southern Alps (Train des Neiges, Alpes du Sud): Click here to download the PDF
For details of the "snow train" to the Roya Valley (Train des Neiges Casterino): Click here to download the PDF
Skiing Centres in the Alpes-Maritimes
L'Audibergue, Andon, Caille
Altitude: 1,640 m
- Andon Tourist Office Tel: 04 93 60 00 17
- Caille Mairie Tel: 04 93 60 31 51
- Access: Take the N85 (Route Napoléon) north of Grasse. Travel about 32 Km, then turn right onto the D79, for about 2 Km, then the D81 and the D181
- Facilities: Alpine skiing: 7 green runs, 8 blue runs, 6 red, 1 black, and a beginner's slope. Ski-lifts
Cross-country and snow shoeing: 28 Km
Altitude: 1,600 to 2,450m (lowest accessible ski point: 1,140m. Highest accessible ski point: 2,450m)
- Auron Tourist Office
Tel: 04 93 23 02 66
Fax: 04 93 23 07 39
- Access Car: 90 Km from Nice. Take the RN 202 towards Digne and Grenoble. After 30 Km, take the road towards Auron/Saint Etienne de Tinée
- Facilities: 130 Km of pistes in three areas, Las Donnas, Sauma Longue and Demandols. Alpine skiing: 4 green runs, 13 blue, 14 red and 5 black
Ski de Fond: 4 Km circuit
Snowboarding at Surf Land
Snow-shoeing, paraski, snow scooters, dog-sleigh rides, skating rink, gym and movie house. Special facilities for children. Baby sitters available, info at tourist office
- Accommodation: Many hotels and guest houses
- Central reservation office Tel: 04 93 23 02 66
Altitude: 1,430 to 2,100 m
- Beuil Tourist Office Tel: 04 93 02 32 58 Fax: 04 93 02 35 72, website
- Access Car: 78 Km north of Nice, next to the larger centre, Valberg. A8 to Saint Isidore, then the RN 202 towards Dinge, take the D28 via the gorge du cians or the D2202 via the gorges de Daluis and Guillaumes.
- Access Bus: Daily bus from Nice Bus station with Société Broch. Tel: 04 93 31 10 52/04 93 07 63 28.
- Facilities: Alpine skiing: 59 pistes, 12 green, 13 blue, 22 red and 12 black.
21 ski-lifts and 6 chair-lifts.
Ski de Fond: 26km.
Nordic skiing: 12km.
Hotels and restaurants in the village.
Altitude: 1,500 m
- Tourist Office Tel: 04 93 03 21 28
- Access: Follow the RN 202 then take the RD 2265 via Vésubie to Saint-Martin-Vésubie and Le Boréon.
- Facilities: Cross-country skiing with five courses, from 2 Km 7,5 Km
Snow-shoe area and dog-sleigh rides
Altitude: 1,400 to 1,850m
- La Colmiane Tourist Office
Tel: 04 93 23 25 90
Fax: 04 93 23 25 91
- Access Car: RN 202 towards Digne and Grenoble. Take the D 2205, then, after la Bollinette, turn right onto the D 2565
- Facilities: Alpine skiing: 4 green, 6 blue, 8 red and 2 black
Cross-country and Nordic skiing: 16 Km
Snow-boarding and monoski
- Accommodation: 17 country lodges, hotels, guest houses and a caravan park
- Mairie Tel: 04 93 05 51 26
- Access: (from Nice): Take the RN 202, then the D 2202, via the gorge de Daluis
- Facilities: Alpine skiing: 1 alpine piste
Cross-country : 11 Km, with 3 routes
Several snow-shoe routes
- Accommodation: Hotel and country lodges
Altitude: 1,400 to 1,800m
- MairieTel: 04 93 59 95 16
- Access: 27 Km north from Grasse. Take the N85 and then the D2 to Gréolières
- Facilities: Alpine skiing: 7 green, 3 blue, 13 red, 2 black.
Cross-country skiing: 30 Km
- Accommodation: Hotels and restaurants in and around the town
Altitude: 1,800 to 2,610m
- Isola 2000 Tourist Office
Tel: 04 93 23 15 15
Fax: 04 93 23 14 15
- Season: December to early May
- Access Car: Take the RN 202 for about 28 Km. Turn right onto the D 2205 towards Saint Sauveur sur Tinée, then the Saint Etienne de Tinée to Isola
- Access Bus: Daily service from Nice bus station, SNCF train station and Nice International Airport. Booking essential. Tel: 04 93 85 92 60
- Facilities: Alpine skiing: 8 green, 19 blue, 17 red, 5 black.
Cross-country: 1 x 3km circuit
Snowboarding, ice driving, snow scooters, skating rink, karting, snow-shoeing, helicopter drops, dog-sleigh rides, sleighs, ice diving, gym and cyber café
Children: Ski school and sports club, and baby sitting facilities
- Accommodation: Many hotels, lodges and guest houses. Reservations through the tourist office
Altitude: 1,410 to 1,910m
- Roubion Tourist Office
Tel: 04 93 02 10 30
- Access (from Nice): 70 Km from Nice. Take the RN 202, then the D2205 until Saint-Sauveur sur Tinée. As you exit the village, take the left fork to Roubion, on the D30
- Facilities: Alpine skiing: 2 green, 5 blue, 12 red, 1 black.
Cross-country: 20 Km with 2 circuits, 1 red, 1 blue
Open Wednesday afternoons and weekends
- Accommodation available in self-catering and lodges
Turini, Camp d'Argent
Altitude: 1,600 to 1,920m
- Tourist Office
Tel: 04 93 03 60 52
- Access (from Nice): Take the RN 202, then the D2565 towards Vésubie. Take the D70, after Lantosque. Pass la Bollène-Vésubie and continue for about 10 Km, to Turini
- Facilities: Alpine skiing: 1 green, 1 blue, 2 red. 4 ski-lifts to 1,900m
Cross-country: 15 Km of routes, 1 green, 1 blue, 12 red, 1 black
Snow-shoeing, walking routes and dog sled
- Accommodation: hotels, self-catering and communal lodges
- ValbergTourist Office
Tel: 04 93 23 24 25
Fax: 04 93 02 52 27
- Access Car (from Nice): A8 to Saint Isidore, RN 202 towards Digne, take the D28 via the gorge du cians or the D2202 via the gorges de Daluis and Guillaumes.
- Acces Bus: daily bus from Nice bus station with Société Broch. Tel: 04 93 31 10 52
- Facilities: Alpine skiing: 11 green, 13 blue, 22 red and 12 black
20 ski lifts, 6 ski chair lifts
Cross-country: 25 Km, 3 circuits
Snow-shoeing: 10 Km of routes
Paraski, ice climbing, movie house, disco and gym
Children: mini ski chair lifts and special entertainment in the snow garden
- Accommodation: Hotels and lodges. Central reservations: 04 93 23 24 32
Altitude: 1,800 to 2,575m
- Val d'Allos
Tel: 04 92 83 02 81
- Access: located in Alpes de Haute Provence, but only 120 Km from Nice
- Facilities: 230 Km of runs in two areas: Le Seignus and La Foux
Alpine skiing: 15 green, 25 blue, 37 red, 9 black, 51 lifts
Ski de Fond: 20 Km circuit
Snow-shoeing, driving on ice, cross country skiing, ice skating, snow scooter, game areas, and toy library
- Children: Special areas for children and day nurseries
- Tende-Val des Merveilles Tourist office
Tel: 04 93 04 73 71
- Access: Follow the RN 204, then take the left fork to the village, Saint-Dalmas de Tende
- Facilities: Cross-country: 24 Km in the Roya valley. 1 green, 1 blue and 1 red. Snow-shoeing in the Mercantour
Altitude: 1,600 to 2,035m
- Snow Station
Tel: 04 93 05 52 83
- Access: 109 Km from Nice, via Valberg, on the RN 202 and then D 2202
- Facilities: Alpine skiing: 4 green, 3 blue and 1 red
Cross-country and Nordic skiing: 3 routes over 10 Km
Children: Special areas for children
- Accommodation in small hotels
Just over the border: Italy
Limone in Piemonte Italy, within easy reach from Southern France, is highly recommended.
- Tourist office: Limone Uffici di Informazione (242004)
Piazza Municipio Via Roma 30
Tel: +39 0 92 101 171
Fax: +39 0 92 101 927 064
- Access: A8 to Menton. Exit 59, Menton, Sospel, D2566 through Castillon. Follow D2204, N204 to Italy. SS20 to Limone.
- Facilities: 29 Lifts - highest lift: 2,050m (6,725ft), lowest lift: 1,032m (3,386ft)
46 slopes cater for beginner, intermediate and expert
Total piste length: 90 Km
Cross-country: 9 Km piste
Ice rink and paragliding, snowboarding
Rules for the snow
- Respect: All slope-users must always behave in such a way that they do not endanger others nor harm them by their behaviour or their equipment
- Stopping: Do not stop in a narrow area or one with restricted visibility. If you fall, get off the route as fast as possible
- Speed: Adapt your speed according to the conditions - crowds, poor visibility
- Walking: If you are walking up or down a slope, keep to the side
- Signs: Always take note of and respect signs concerning slope and weather conditions
- Overtaking: You may overtake above or below a slower skier, or to the left or right of them, but only if there is enough space to do so
- Assistance: If you witness or cause an accident, you must stop to give help, and make yourself available to rescue teams or the Piste Patrol